Special Event Permitting
Special Event Permit
Whether you’re planning a 5K run, a neighborhood block party or a gathering of friends, the City of Garland would like to help you make your event possible. Some events need a permit, while other events can make use of a pavilion rental in one of the City of Garland’s parks, a room rental in one of the City's rec centers, or do not require a permit.
Do I Need a Permit for My Event?
Answering a few simple questions will help you determine if you need to apply for a Special Event Permit:
- Will you be blocking or restricting public property?
- Is the anticipated attendance 100 or more?
- Will you be hosting your event at or near Downtown Garland?
- Will you have vendors at the event who are selling food or beverages, goods or services (i.e., fitness class/company)? Or do you plan to sell tickets for your event or sell other items at your event?
- Will you be using amplified sound?
- Will your event close or change the traffic pattern of a street or alley?
- Will your event impact the public use of a City park or natural resource?
- Will your event involve fireworks or animals?
- Will you be using any temporary structures, like tents, bleachers, portable restrooms, inflatable structures or stages?
If you answered "YES" to any of these questions, you will need to apply for and obtain a Special Event Permit.
If you are planning an event, your special event application must be submitted no later than 45 business days (Monday through Friday) before your event. Larger events or events requesting City Services will require 60 business days, so please plan accordingly. Submission of an application does not guarantee permit issuance.
Submitting an Application
To complete the application the following is required:
Upon receipt of the completed application, the Special Events Office will forward to the Special Event Permitting Committee for review.
Upon receipt of this application, the city will work hard to complete the approval process in two weeks' time from the first business day following the submission.
The applicant will be notified whether he/she has been given permission to proceed in planning the proposed event. Please do not market the event until it has been permitted.
apply Now!Complete the form and submit your permit application.
email Special Events or call 972-205-2726
pavilion & FACILITY RENTALS
NEIGHBORHOOD BLOCK PARTY
FILMING IN PUBLIC OPEN SPACE
SPECIAL EVENT RESOURCES
- Certificate of Insurance - Church Example (PDF), Organization Example (PDF)
- Nonprofit Certificate - Example (PDF)
- Temporary Food/Beverage Service Information and Online Application
- Event Site Plan - You must submit a site plan with your Special Event Application; you may use any of the following maps to help design your layout.